January 1st, 1970 |
Each October since 1987, Domestic Violence Awareness Month has united people across the nation as we remember those who have passed due to domestic violence. During this time, Women Aware also honors the strength and courage of the thousands of individuals who have moved beyond abuse by seeking refuge in our Safe House and accessing our confidential services.
This is the time for communities to reaffirm their commitment to ending violence against women and their children. During Domestic Violence Awareness month, we invite you to join us at one of our upcoming candlelight vigils, being coordinated in partnership with Women Aware’s Domestic Violence Response Teams (DVRT).
DVRTs are comprised of volunteer citizen advocates that respond to the needs of victims in their community. Members are highly trained volunteers that work closely with local police departments to provide information and support to victims during a moment of crisis. Women Aware’s DVRT volunteers are an extension of our agency, working on the ground to provide support to victims across Middlesex County.
Through our county-wide candlelight vigils, we hope to shine a light on domestic violence and instill hope for a brighter future.
Vigils will begin at 6:00 PM at the following locations:
- October 2nd, New Brunswick’s Monument Park (corner of George Street and Livingston Avenue)
- October 4th, Middlesex Borough’s Mountain View Park on Rt. 28
- October 11th, Plainsboro’s Market Square in front of the town library
- October 15th, South River’s Dailey’s Pond Park/Prospect Street (7pm)
- October 16th, South Brunswick’s Veterans Park on Beekman Road
- October 17th, Reformed Church of Highland Park on 2nd Avenue
- October 24th, Sayreville’s Buchanan Waterfront Park on River Road
We hope you’ll join us!